Gone are the days of waking up 45 minutes before I have to be at work while still managing to eat a decent breakfast and slowly slurping down a cup of coffee…
With this super easy peanut butter and jelly breakfast cobbler, it actually is possible to sleep in a little later than normal because breakfast can be served to your entire family in one fell swoop.
I am a night owl by trade, and there is nothing I hate more than waking up in the morning.
My son has to be at school by 8am, and I’m lucky if I’m able to get him, myself, and my husband up and out of bed before 7:15. Thank goodness his school is less than two stoplights away because we’d probably be in trouble otherwise. I give mad props to the moms out there who are showered, shaved, and bright-eyed and bushy tailed by 6am.
I just don’t have it in me.
Since I’m not an early riser, it is imperative for me to do a little prep work both on Sunday evening and throughout the week if I’m going to feed my family healthy meals. I’m all about fast and easy, but I’m pseudo-crunchy, so serving something out of a box is absolutely not my forte.
It is possible to serve your youngins a tasty, wholesome breakfast made with real food. All it takes is a little planning.
On Sunday mornings I bake up a big batch of muffins, overnight oats, or baked oatmeal to serve for breakfast throughout the week, and I’ll pack my husband’s and son’s lunches the night before while my son is getting ready for bed. Lunches usually consist of leftovers from supper for the hubs and a bento box of fresh fruits & veggies, cheese, and other tasty nibbles for the toddler.
This peanut butter and jelly breakfast cobbler fits the bill for my breakfast criteria: quick, easy, inexpensive, healthy, and to die for delicious. It has all of the flavors of a classic PB & J without all the white sugar. Naturally sweetened with strawberry applesauce and a few drizzles of honey, your kids will feel like you’re giving them dessert for breakfast, which will change the course of the entire morning.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Breakfast Cobbler
2 containers (5 cups) fresh strawberries, quartered
1 cup all natural, unsweetened strawberry applesauce or fruit puree
4 tbsp honey, divided
2 tbsp arrowroot or non-GMO cornstarch
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter (or coconut oil!)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
Optional: vanilla or strawberry yogurt and fresh strawberries for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Place strawberries in a 9″ x 3″ baking dish, stir in apple sauce, honey, arrowroot, and 1/8 tsp salt and mix until well combined and arrrowroot is no longer white. Set aside.
- Add oats to a medium bowl and, using a box grater, grate the butter into the oats. Stir in peanut butter, 2 tbsp honey, cinnamon, and salt and until evenly distributed and it forms into a dough. NOTE: It is so much easier to squish all of the ingredients together using clean hands!
- Crumble the peanut butter oat mixture over the strawberry mixture in the baking dish and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove tin foil, and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the oats are golden brown. NOTE: Keep an eye on it if using coconut oil! It tends to brown faster.
- Serve warm w/ a dollop of fresh yogurt and fresh berries.